Sunday, April 5, 2009

Kukulu Ethiopian Market on Broadway





In order to prepare for my evening's Ethiopian dinner party, I needed to make a stop at the Kukulu Market on Broadway in Edgewater. First of all, how cool is it that we live in a city where we have access to so many ethnic goodies. Kukulu is owned and operated by Mr. Retta, who is originally from Ethiopia. He stocks injera, spices and coffee as well as your usual convenience store options.

But the best part of this trip??

Well, of course as I am struggling to get across which ingredients I need and why I need them, he inquires if my friend cooking with me is Ethiopian. I say no, but that I am spending the summer there. Which of course leads to why.... And to be honest, I feel a little strange telling people who are from Ethiopia, that I'm going there to volunteer, it just seems so American and I always wonder what they will think.. well here was Mr. Retta's response.

"That is so wonderful, it is so wonderful when people want to go help my country. Thank you, I hope you will come back before you leave."

And then he wanted me to be sure to tell everyone in Ethiopia that apparently Chicago is hosting the 2009 Ethiopian Soccer Festival. Who knew.. it's at the end of June.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

love them. they are the nicest people-- am still trying to get his daughter to babysit for us. hope the food turned out well!

Nikki said...

I have found the same thing. I am often hesitant telling people why I go to their country, but Ethiopians (as opposed to people from other countries, particularly Haiti) are really understanding, supportive, and excited!