Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day to all...

There are a lot of stressors at my job.. and in education in general... but one of the things that we do right are holidays!! Every holiday is more fun when it is spent with kids. So, Valentine's Day is a super big deal in elementary school-- with as much candy as Halloween, fun crafts and lots of festivities. As a single person.. heck even when I'm dating someone I don't think much of this holiday.. I've insisted that boyfriends not make plans, I will usually invite them over, order a pizza, have a yummy dessert and call it a night. The whole day seems kind of forced with adults.. but with kids, it's just plain fun.

So this monkey I got from a student. On Monday, L said to me that she had a special surprise for me on Valentine's Day. She is a fourth grader and in general education. So I get to school on Friday and I walk into my office and this monkey is tied to my door handle.. no card or anything-- so I have my first group of kids there and it is a mixed group of 3rd and 4th graders and one little boy says, you got that from L, I saw her carrying it outside. So how cute is that.. because in 4th grade, you think this is a pretty cool gift.

The rest of day was spent making construction paper love bugs and then it was party time... and the kids spend their time walking around school giving away candy and cupcakes-- I get a lot of sticky candy and smooshed cupcakes--that have to secretly be put in my trash can. But it is very sweet of them. One little guy said that there were two extra valentines in his box and his teacher got one and I, "Mrs. Jones" got the other... the Miss is always lost on them.

Well, I hope you all had a wonderful Valentine's Day!!!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Selam and Tigist say "Happy Valentine's Day!"
I loved Valentine's day as a child...handing out Valentines