Sunday, December 21, 2008

African Reading Challenge Part II

Angelina Jolie; Notes from my Travels- Visits with Refugees in Africa, Cambodia, Pakistan and Ecuador





Now, I never thought I would have read anything by Angelina, not a huge fan of her movies or her tabloids, but my sister sent me this book when I told her I was traveling to Ethiopia next summer. Well all I can say is that after reading it, I like her and I plan to bring a travel journal with me next summer. These are her memoirs from her journeys to Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Pakistan, Cambodia and Ecuador. She simply writes about what she sees and how she feels. It is a very fast read and very simple but certainly makes you wonder why more people don't try to experience developing countries. Especially people with lots of money. :)

"Angelina is living proof of the power we all have-- every one of us-- to make a difference. I was deeply moved by her descriptions of individual refugees struggling to live with dignity and hope, and found her personal commitment to be an inspiration. Angelina's journals document her awakening as a humanitarian activist and I hope they will move readers to act. I look forward to my continued work with Angelina on behalf of the United Nations." - Jane Goodall, Ph.D. CBE Founder of the Jane Goodall Institute and UN Messenger of Peace

2 comments:

Sarah said...

only have to imagine that santa is bringing this to someone at my house this year. We'll see you on Wednesday, right??

Claire said...

oh..... I want it!!!! What else are we reading now?????