Tuesday, December 23, 2008

BOOK ANGELS




This past week, my school was the lucky recipient of almost 80 books!! One of our teachers told me about a program called Book Angels. It is a program that is run by Anderson's Bookshop in Downers Grove, which just happens to be my childhood bookstore. They partner up with a teacher's professional sorority and hang needy children's names on a tree on little paper angels. Then members of this organization and patrons of the bookstore, pick a name and buy a hardcover book for that child. Every book was then wrapped and labeled with their angel by the head of the children's section, Kathleen March. All I had to do was write a letter and submit my student's names. I got to pick up four huge bags of beautiful, wrapped, new hardcover books and pass them out to so many of our students. They were thrilled, truly! I had fun being the book lady-- I said it was a raffle-- so that no one would know why they were picked-- but really it was the children who we felt might not have books at home to read.

What a great program, a great bookstore and a great booklady in Kathleen!! The book above was one of my favorites as a preteen and purchased at Anderson's on my bike in probably 1987!!!

1 comment:

Moiree said...

What a great progam indeed. I may have to pass this along to our only locally owned independent book seller. We have many other "chain" affiliated book stores but there is only one independent one that
I am aware of in Bellingham,WA namely Village Books.
Keep up the good work Tiffany.
And many thanks