Friday, May 14, 2010

A small difference....


Okay, so it almost the end of the school year. We are done June 4th. So that means that there are 13 school days and 1 hour.. holy crap I have a lot of work to accomplish!!

But as much as we are stressing about the end of school, so are many of the kids. There is one little guy who was new to our school this year. When you look at his records, it is clear that he may have ADHD.. and his mom has finally secured an evaluation for him this June.. but with about a month of school left, he was driving his teacher slightly insane and she said the worst was that he couldn't stay in his seat.

So, I made him a little envelope that said "I will stay in my seat." and taped it to the side of his desk. Every time she sees him seated, she gives him a little ticket that says Caught being good. If he has 10 tickets at the end of the day, he gets a prize from this bag of prizes I left(stretchy animals, little dinos, crayons etc.)-- well he has been struggling a bit but today on my way into school.. early, like about 30-40 minutes before the kids were due and he is already on the playground playing catch with his sister and some of her friends.. he comes running towards me yelling 10, 10, 10 tickets.. so I said, "Oh, did you get ten tickets yesterday?" "Yes!" "Well, high five! What prize did you pick?" "A dinosaur." and then he ran back to play. It was a nice way to come into school and to one small person, I think I made a small difference today.

Did you??

No comments: