Friday, June 26, 2009

Monikers or AKA names for the kids


I've been trying to figure out a way to differentiate the kids in my
posts and I was going to use their first initial but I'm getting
confused as many of the kids have the same names, so I think I'm going
to give them each a moniker(is that the right word??) when I talk
about them, so for example, Little S from my previous post will be
Sunshine....

Sunshine Update
A couple of days ago, Jen got an AHOPE forum message(all my forum
messages go to my excite account and we can all guess how that works
here!!) but anyhow the message said that this mom just passed court
and officially has adopted her daughter and is just waiting for the TB
test, so she doesn't know when she will get to travel, but wanted an
updated supply list to collect for AHOPE.
Well, Jen wrote her right back and asked if she would be willing to
let us know who her daughter was. And she did and guess what it is
Sunshine!!! We are so excited that she has a home-- I can't wait for
her mom to come and meet her.

Community Development Center Update
We ventured out for our first solo visit to the CDC on Thursday, June
25th. This involves a minibus to Mexico, then one to Piazza, then one
to Yohannesburg. On our third lag of the trip, Jen sat next to this
cute brother and sister, about 9 and 11. They were clearly delighted
that three Fereng were on their bus. They wanted to talk to us and
asked as everyone does if we were sisters and if they could go to
America with us. I had two bouncy balls with me in my bag and I gave
them to them. They thought that was very cool. Turns out, they were
getting out at the same spot, so they started walking with us. Then
they ask us if we know AHOPE and it turns out, they go to the CDC. So
we walk with them, as they are bouncing their super balls all over the
place. The little girl puts her arm around my waist and says "I'm HIV,
do you know?". I almost started crying right then and there. To feel
that you have to identify yourself immediately as that, not as a
smart, cute, funny kid but as a medical diagnosis.

No comments: