Friday, June 26, 2009

Thank you Goodwin School!!!!

Today(Wednesday, June 24th), we went back to Vera's with Big AHOPE for the field trip with the kids jeans day money. I was a little concerned
that the big kids would think it was babyish but boy was I wrong. They
were very happy to be there. Abebe said he told them the night before and he didn't think they slept which I thought was super cute. They rode the rides, ran around and took tons of pictures, they loved taking pictures with their friends. At lunch, I was helping Abebe figure out what everyone wanted to eat, pizza or burgers. So he's ordering and I was questioning how he was going to order a whole pizza for every kid and was that a good idea, but he insisted it was. Well, we get to lunch and believe it or not, almost all the kids ate their whole pizza!!! They pick up a slice, roll it like a rolled sandwich(which unless you know my mother, you have no idea what that is) and put it in their mouths. I guess you could say they eat pizza sort of like they eat injera. Marissa, the repeat volunteer said that it is partially because some of the kids didn't use to have enough food so they eat everything put in front of them. But the kids were great, very polite and they all thanked me and
Goodwin. One of my favorite( I know you shouldn't have favorites...:)) at Big AHOPE is Sassy. She is 7 and has pretty good English. She even asked me how old I was and when I put up the fingers, she was able to repeat my math in Amharic. I let her wear my sunglasses and that was a big
hit, very, very cute!!!!

Mini Buses

All over Addis, are these blue and white vans that people either call
mini buses or mini taxis. They hold about 12-16 people, depending on
how many they try to squeeze in. There is a driver and a man who
stands inside, opens the door, collects your money and yells the
destination out the window, so you know which one to get in. Each ride
which is usually from one neighborhood to the next is between .75 Birr
and 2 Birr. For your conversion: 2 Birr= 20 cents US.

1 comment:

mom & dad said...

Tiff, We enjoyed your blog update. So happy for the little girl. Sounds like you are doing a lot. Glad that Jen is there with you. Too bad we couldn't get the soccer balls there. Keep writing. Show them how to make your nana's rolled sandwiches. Can't wait to see all the pictures. love M&D