Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vera's Wonderland



Okay so Disney is currently rolling over in his grave! Sunday, we took the kids to this place called Vera's Wonderland, which is essentially Addis' version of Kiddieland, with poorly drawn Disney characters. How many of you have been to Kiddieland in Melrose Park??? Well those same archaic rides exist over here, just fewer. There were this really spooky paintings of Disney characters, like Goofy has fangs but the kids were super excited. We got pictures of them on the big slide, the Dumbo ride, the swinging ship and the bumper cars. They ate tons of fries, pizza, Fanta and ice cream. I got to ride the ferris while with the twins and S. who are all about four years old. Didn't I hear that our Kiddieland is closing, must take Juliet when I get back, who's in???

Lesson Plans

Okay, we finally had this volunteer meeting that was super helpful in figuring out what we are all going to be doing. We are definitely
doing activities and arts and crafts at Little A and teaching those
two classes at Big A.

So lesson plans or rather lesson plans on the fly.... as Jen and I
spent the morning planning our ESL conversation lessons as well as our crafts and activities. She made a crown that we plan to make with the little kids and I made a spider to go along with the Itzy Bitzy Spider which they know in both English and Amharic. I think we did fine but I wish I'd known what I'd be doing before I left as I would have brought ready made activities from school. Too bad, you can't get Oriental Trading Company to deliver here!!!!

Chamaki

Chamaki or juice in English is very popular here. It is really just
pureed fruit-- delicious or etofitel in Amharic!!! My favorite so far is strawberry, though pineapple is quite good as well. I am not a convert yet of the mixed juice which includes avocado, but we shall see. This has really been as close to fruit as I've gotten, though I do keep looking at all the hanging bananas but can't find any that are yellow enough or rather with a tinge of green.

Odds and Ends
In case you haven't read, try emailing me at tjones6575@gmail.com, it appears faster.

If you are trying to call me -- best between 12-1pm your time or
10:30-11:30pm your time.

I got a comment from a Miss S, who was a former volunteer, I'd love to fill you in, just email me.

Thanks for all the comments and emails, you guys rock!!!

No comments: